Throughout Illinois, many people live their lives injury-free. Unfortunately, that’s not always the case. There are many ways that someone can get injured. Whether it’s from a car accident or medical malpractice, injuries often cause lots of damages. With that in mind, damages come in several different forms. Here’s a closer look at the types of damages you can potentially claim after an injury occurs.

Non-economic damages

Anyone who experienced a personal injury knows it can cause more than physical damage. Oftentimes, injuries can cause mental and physical distress. An example of non-economic damages would be similar to someone getting in a car accident and not driving anymore because they fear getting into another collision.

Economic damages

Unfortunately, accidents are often quite costly. Considering that, many people who got injured can seek economic damages. The economic damages you’re seeking will depend on the accident that injured you.

One of the most common economic damages has to do with medical expenses. Your post-injury medical expenses can include visits to the doctor, buying medication, and paying for upcoming surgeries.

As you recover from your injuries, you’re also likely missing time away from work. Therefore, many post-accident damages involve paying for lost hours on the job. In some cases, you could also seek damages if your injuries prevent you from seeking future employment opportunities.

Most injuries don’t just damage a person, but also their physical property. This is why many personal injury claims involve paying to replace or repair damaged items.

Punitive damages

Sometimes, a defendant might act in an extremely dangerous manner or intend to injure you. If either of the previously mentioned situations is true, a defendant might have to pay punitive damages. These damages punish a defendant, acting as a deterrent for them to recommit certain crimes in the future.

To summarize, there are three main types of damages involved in personal injury claims. If you need help seeking post-injury damages, consider contacting a personal injury attorney.

Contact Us

Schedule Your Free Consultation